Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My defining achievement

I recently received an email from an alumni organisation that I am a member of. The opening sentences were:


"Dear Paige, We define achievement in a variety of different ways - from the car we drive, through to the clothes we wear, or the TV we own. But have you ever thought you could define achievement by the job you do?"


Um, yes? Yes, I frequently do? If anything, I would largely define my achievement and success on my career (low paid but highly satisfied writer) and personal relationships (fulfilling), and not on my car (public transport user), my TV (second hand one that doesn't plug into the wall) or my clothes (second hand). I'm trying to figure out what they expected members to think.


"Meh, I'm a hooker who dresses like a child so that pedophiles will pay me. But I drive a Lamborghini and wear Ferragamo on my days off so it's alright."

0 comments: