Thursday, January 27, 2011

Please kindly go away

I hate lending things to people. So much. It's not that I'm stingy and don't want to share. It's just that 90% of the time I lend my possessions to people - particularly loved items - they don't really return to me. Or they do, somewhat damaged. And I'm not talking about a Nine Inch Nails song.

Like lending a girl a beloved cardigan that I've owned since I was eleven because she didn't like the clothes she had at home. Then she just literally would not give it up because she didn't think I wanted it back. Hmm, not sure whether she learnt what the word "loan" meant in junior school. (But had the audacity to get really upset when someone returned her own shirt crumpled.) Or lending another friend an extremely expensive pair of designer pants to never see them again. Or lending my boyfriend-at-the-time my favourite-novel-at-the-time, to discover it torn up, spine broken and growing mold under his bed with a hunk of seafood sushi rotting in the middle of it. I guess the book was "growing" on him.


So this is why I will say no politely if you ask to borrow something personal from me. It's not you, it's me. I just like having undamaged possessions too much.

0 comments: